? Album Commentary Live: Art Brut’s Eddie Argos and Charlie Layton discuss “Wham! Bang! Pow! Let’s Rock Out!” (plus an encore of classic ‘Brut hits) with Joe Sparrow
? Time/Date: 20:30, Thursday 22nd November 2018
?Venue: Posh Teckel, Pflügerstraße 4, 12047 Berlin
? Tickets: Very limited spaces – GET YER TICKETS HERE
Good grief, Album Commentary has emerged from hibernation with a big art-pop-shaped splat! – and it’s one of my all-time favourite bands, Art Brut, who are making it happen.
Because, lo! Eddie and Charlie from Art Brut are going to provide what – it’s safe to assume – will be a series of myth-laden pie-in-the-sky anecdotes, drinking stories and dubious excuses as they provide live album commentary of their new LP, Wham! Bang! Pow! Let’s Rock Out!
(If you’re not sure – Album Commentary is like a director’s commentary of an album, by the artist, as the record plays. It’s not a listening party, or one of those events where you sit quietly and reflect on the *importance* of a record while it plays over expensive speakers.)
And it’ll all be for a rapt, ravenous and raucous* audience in Berlin on 22nd November, the day before the album is released.
And talking of leaps – Album Commentary is jumping from the web to where slightly-dubious discussion about music should happen: the pub. Yep, the first ever Album Commentary Live event is happening at the perfect venue: Posh Teckel, in the band’s adopted hometown of Berlin.
(Posh Teckel is the perfect location, BTW – it’s the best bar in the city for people who love great music, talking about great music, and bumping into rock stars. Johnny Marr, for instance, hangs around there whenever he’s in Berlin.)
Moreover, what better way for this famously brilliant live act to celebrate the release of Wham! Bang! Pow! Let’s Rock Out (the band’s first album since 2011’s Brilliant! Tragic!) than in a venue designed for boisterous bands and drinking?
Frankly, who knows which way the exact album commentary will go once we hit play Eddie gets talking, but highlights might include:
- A never-before-heard live track-by-track commentary of new album Wham! Bang! Pow! Let’s Rock Out! by Eddie and Charlie, who can both talk a bit, frankly
- Eddie talking about their great new song Hospital, which documents, “the most undignified month,” of Eddie’s life – when he almost died from Peritonitis (actually maybe this bit is not strictly a “highlight”)
- Booze! Glorious booze!
- You can grab a signed copy of the new album scrawled on for you by Eddie and Charlie!
- BONUS: hear Eddie gossip about an “encore” selection of Classic Art Brut Hits, possibly including the hall-of-fame pop hits Formed A Band, Direct Hit and, oh, I dunno, let’s figure this bit out on the night.
- The exclusive opportunity for YOU, the ravenous public, to interject, jeer, cheer and ask dubious questions!
The amazeybongos new LP, Wham! Bang! Pow! Let’s Rock Out! is out on 23rd November on the equally amazeybongos Alcopop! Records – order your copy here. So you can come to the Album Commentary, listen to Eddie and Charlie talk all over the album, then drink with them until midnight, and then buy the album at one minute past midnight. Top of the Pops!
*raucousness, ravenousness and rapturedness of audience not guaranteed